Associate Professor of Mathematics
Math and CS Department
Office: Brinkman 204
EXCITING OPPORTUNITY : An Actuarial Science major is starting at UMF in Fall 2013! Please email me with any questions you might have!
- I'm on sabbatical during the Fall 2013 semester.
University of Maine at Farmington:
- Math 100 - Introduction to Mathematics (S09)
- Math 103 - Mathematics for Elementary School Teachers (F06, S07, S08)
- Math 120 - Introductory Statistics (Summer 07, May 08, Summer 08, May 09, S10, S11, F11, S12, F12, S13)
- Math 132 - Precalculus (F10)
- Math 141 - Calculus I (F06, F07, F08, F09, F12, S14)
- Math 142 - Calculus II (S07, S08, S10, S13)
- MAT 220 - Data Analysis (F08, F09, F11)
- MAT 241 - Calculus III (F07)
- Math 325 - Interest Theory (S14)
- Math 333 - Combinatorics and Graph Theory (S11)
- Math 377 - Financial Mathematics (S12)
- Math 371 - Mathematical Probability (F10)
- Math 477 - Problem Solving in Probability (S09)
Western Carolina University:
- Math 101 - Mathematical Concepts (S05, Summer 05)
- Math 130 - College Algebra (Fall 04)
- Math 135 - Statistics, Functions, and Rates of Change (F05)
- Math 153 - Calculus I (F05, S06)
- Math 170 - Applied Statistics (F04, S05, Summer 06)
- Math 230 - Theory of Arithmetic I (Summer 06)
- Math 270 - Statistical Methods I (F05)
- Math 361 - Abstract Algebra (S06)
My research is in combinatorics, especially matroids and their connections with graph theory. The main topic of my work is gain and biased graphs. These are graphs with additional structure that leads to new graphical matroids.
The theories of gain and biased graphs are being developed by my advisor,
in a series of papers entitled ``Biased Graphs''.
Other interests include Actuarial Education and Mathematics Education.
"Excel VBA Programming in an Interest Theory Course", PRIMUS, submitted.
(with Joshua Case and Jordan LeGrand) "Counting Set Classes with Burnside's Lemma", Involve, submitted.
"Biased Expansions of Biased Graphs and their Chromatic Polynomials", Annals of Combinatorics, 16-4(2012), 781-788.
(with Erin McNelis) "Fantasy Baseball with a Statistical Twist", Mathematics Teacher, 102-4 (2008), 264-269.
"A Modular Triple Characterization of Circuit Signatures", Europ. J. Combinatorics, 29 (2008), 159-170.
Two Generalizations of Biased Graphs: Circuit
Signatures and Modular Triples of Matroids, and Biased Expansions of Biased
Graphs, Ph.D. Thesis, Advisor:
"Comments on 'Supersolvable frame-matroid and graphic-lift lattices' by T. Zaslavsky", Europ. J. Combinatorics, 25 (2004), 141-144.
(with Gary Gordon, Jason Leasure, and Sharon Pronchik)
"Matroid Automorphisms and Symmetric Groups", Combinatorics, Probability, & Computing 9(2000), 105-123.
EDUCATION AND EMPLOYMENT
- Actuarial Intern, Fall 2013, Maine Bureau of Insurance
- Actuarial Exam FM (June 2012)
- Actuarial Exam P/1 (July 2008)
- New York State Teacher Certification, Grades 7 to 12 (February 2001)